Saturday, April 21, 2012

Food for thought, is drinking really okay for Christians?


Then the Lord spoke to Aaron (the high priest), saying:  “Do not drink wine or intoxicating drink, you, nor your sons with you, when you go into the tabernacle of meeting, lest you die. It shall be a statute forever throughout your generations, that you may distinguish between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean, and that you may teach the children of Israel all the statutes which the Lord has spoken to them by the hand of Moses.”
Leviticus 10:9-11 (NKJV)

I have always been greatly troubled by individuals who call something sin that is not explicitly called sin in the Bible. The most common occurrence of this phenomenon (in my life) has been in the area of alcohol. My pastor believes that drinking alcohol is sin. I find this deeply troubling. Sin is not arbitrary or undefined. It is not up to us to determine what sin is where the Word is unclear. I do believe that there is enough said in the Word that paints consumption of alcohol in a negative light to say that drinking is for the most part stupid and that it should be avoided. But there is not enough to call it sin. 

So, as I’m prone to do when I disagree with something, I find myself often arguing against this belief that drinking is sin. Given the widespread belief that it is sin in the circles I walk one would judge that I am all for drinking given the number of times I argue against the fact that it is sin. This happens in other areas of conviction as well so it is not unique to this circumstance. I just like pushing back against what I see as false. Let me step away from that here.

The verses above make a compelling case that Christians should not drink. Aaron and his sons (the priests at that time) were restricted from drinking as they went about fulfilling their priestly duties. This was for three specific reasons: to discern between that which was holy and that which was unholy, between clean and unclean, and to be able to teach the word of the Lord. We are the priests of the New Covenant “But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.” 1 Peter 2:9-10. May I offer as food for thought our duties as priests never end. The functions of the priesthood have changed from being a scheduled sacrificial system to one that requires our all. There is no fulfilling priesthood time and not fulfilling priesthood time. There are no breaks, no on/off switches. We are commanded to be holy always (this requires being able to always discern between holiness and un-holiness). We are told to be wise and discerning. We are told to teach. We are commanded to always be ready to give an answer for the hope that is within. 

So without saying that drinking is wrong or sinful, can we still say that it is something that Christians should not do? I am being led to think yes we can say that Christians should not drink. Although part of me still very much pushes against those who call it sin, another part of me is embracing with growing conviction that one could biblically argue that drinking negatively effects our ability to be ‘little Christs’ and fulfill our priestly duties.

I would love you hear your thoughts! 

I realize that there may be something to say about transference of Old Testament priestly duties/expectations to the New Covenant. This is one of the highlighted disconnects between dispensationalism and reformed theology. What is interesting is that given the set up of this argument one would expect that it would more likely be embraced by reformed theologians and yet dispensationalists are more likely to advocate this line of belief. Any thoughts or explanations of this? 

1 comment:

  1. Just a few thoughts: I am loath to believe that total abstinence from alcohol is necessarily the right way to go for everyone. As money is not an evil by itself, neither is alcohol -- rather, it is one's relationship to alcohol is what makes it either sinful or just seriously ill-advised. Does one use alcohol to run away from God in some way? THAT would be sin, I think. I don't see how a glass of wine now and again -- for someone who can handle it -- separates a person from God.

    I do generally think of drunkenness as bad -- it skews a person's judgement. But are there any situations in which being drunk is "safe," morally speaking? I don't know.

    Here's a website I found with some short summaries of verses on the subject. Not sure how useful it is, but it seems like it has a lot of verses one might ponder over. http://www.scionofzion.com/drinking.htm

    ReplyDelete